Voter Registration FAQ

  1. I live in two different states. Can I register here? Yes, you may register in Florida, but you may not be registered in two places at once. You must decide which state is your legal residence and register to vote in that state - "one person, one vote."
  2. Can I register for my husband or wife? No, but you may take an application to him/her. After the form is completed, you may hand deliver or mail it to the Supervisor of Elections office.
  3. Why do I have to provide my Florida Driver License number, Florida Identification number or last four digits of my Social Security number?  After your information has been entered into the Florida Voter Registration System, the State must verify your identity.  It is important that the name you provide on your voter registration application match that of the identification you provide.
  4. I've been convicted of a felony or adjudicated mentally incompetent. May I register to vote? Yes, you may register if your civil rights (with respect to voting) or your right to vote have been restored according to the recent amendment to Florida's Constitution. If you have completed all portions of your sentence, including probation, parole, fines, fees and restitution and you have not been convicted of murder or a felony sex offense, your rights have automatically been restored.
  5. How can I find out if my civil rights have been restored? You may contact the Office of Executive Clemency, 4070 Esplanade Way, Tallahassee, Fl 32399-2450, Tel: 850.488.2952, Fax: 850.488.0695.
  6. Can I register to vote if I have a green card? No. You must be a U.S. citizen to register to vote.
  7. I am a student. Can I register to vote where I go to school? Yes, you can register to vote in the county where you are going to school. However, you cannot be registered in two counties, so the registration in your original home county would be cancelled.
  8. I am homeless. Can I register to vote? Yes, but you must give an address where you receive your mail, so that we can send you a voter information card. 
  9. How can I change my name and address? You can do this by submitting a completed Florida Voter Registration Application. If you move within Osceola County, you may submit a Florida Voter Registration Application or notify the Supervisor's office by telephone or electronic means.
  10. How do I change my party affiliation? You can do this by submitting a Florida Voter Registration Application. Any party change request received less than 29 days before an election will not go into effect until after that election.
  11. Can I choose which address to use for purposes of registering? No. You must register to vote using your current residential address. It is not permissible to register using a business address, former address or address of a piece of property that you own. You must register where you live. However, you may use another address for mail (business, P.O. box, etc).
  12. Am I required to declare a political party? No. However, if you do not choose a political party, you will be registered as "no party."
  13. Does being "no party" affect my voting in the primaries? Since Florida is a closed primary state, only voters who are affiliated with one of the major parties (Republican or Democrat) at book closing (29 days prior to an election), will be eligible to vote in that party's primary. If, however, all the candidates in a primary have the same party affiliation and the winner will have no opposition in the general election, all qualified electors, regardless of party affiliation may vote in the primary election for that office.
  14. How do I find out where I will be voting? After you register to vote, you will be sent a voter information card with the name and address of your polling place on it. You may also call the Supervisor of Elections or check our website for information regarding your polling location.
  15. When will I get my new voter information card? You should receive your voter information card within 8 weeks of registering to vote or updating your voter registration. If you do not receive your card, please call the Supervisor of Elections office at 407.742.6000.
  16. What hours are the polls open on Election Day? The polls are open from 7 am to 7 pm on Election Day.
  17. I cannot vote in person on Election Day. How do I obtain vote by mail ballot information? You may contact the Supervisor of Elections office at 407.742.6000 or visit our Vote by Mail page for more information on voting by mail. 
  18. What is a universal primary? If all candidates in a primary race have the same party affiliation and the winner will have no opposition in the general election, all qualified electors, regardless of party affiliation, may vote in the primary election for that office. This is called a universal primary contest. Note: Party changes must be made by the 29th day before an election.
  19. How much does it cost to verify a signature on an initiative petition? The cost is forty cents per petition.